[time-nuts] LPRO-101 with Brooks Shera's GPS locking circuit

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Wed Dec 20 01:22:13 UTC 2006

Hal Murray wrote:
>> Noise like the oncore sawtooth isn't always a bad thing.
>>

> I was going to comment on that area...  Thanks for the reminder.
>
> The problem is that the sawtooth isn't noise in the normal Gaussian sense.
> If you happen to hit a long/wide hanging bridge, the resulting offset may get
> past your PLL filter.
>
> It might be possible to avoid hanging bridges by dithering the sawtooth.  I'm
> thinking of something like a heater under the xtal for the GPS unit that gets
> driven by a medium frequency - slow relative to the normal sawtooth but fast
> relative to the PLL time constant.  This somehow feels not-good, but I can't
> see the obvious screwup.

Hal

Avoidance of hanging bridges requires that the GPS receiver oscillator
frequency not be a Hamonic of 1Hz at any time.
Using a heater as you suggest will not solve this problem.
Ideally it would be best if it were not a rational multiple of 1Hz either.
Its generally simpler and easier to use the PPS sawtooth correction, if
available.
Resultant residual jitter is closer to Gaussian.

Bruce