[time-nuts] Re : Difference between these two oscillator boards?

Jason Rabel jason at extremeoverclocking.com
Thu Nov 30 22:00:36 UTC 2006

Marc,

Thanks for the info. I also got an email from James Miller and he gave me
some other bits of info. What is accurate amongst all the replies I do not
know, maybe all of it. ;)

>From what I have read, you can put replace a 10544A with a 10811 without any
problems (backwards compatible), but the reverse is not always true.

Anyhow, James gave this bit of info:

equipment (such as the HP5328A counter), with the 10544A oscillator.  It has
just the basic elements to support the oscillator; essentially a voltage
regulator and a little filtering here and there.

The larger board was introduced later and included the above, but also extra
stuff to provide:

* Automatic detection of external 10 MHz source
* Buffered 1 MHz and 10 MHz to the external world.
* Support for 10544A and 10811A oscillator (little difference electrically)

> Hello group.
>
> At least one question I can answer !
> Both boards correspond to the A3 board for an HP 5328A counter.
> A3 is used for OCXO (option 10.)
>
> Board 1 is the A3 board for military versions of the 5328A: the AN-USM
459.
> It has extra controls for voltage and fine frequency adjust (multiturn
pot)

> Board 2 is the A3 board for the regular 5328A, it is described in the
05328-90011 PDF available from the Agilent website.
> It is supposed to drive a 10544A, but I have a 5328A with a 10811
connected to it and running OK.