[time-nuts] OT: eBay bidding question

John Day johnday at wordsnimages.com
Fri Apr 27 01:20:24 UTC 2007

At 05:33 PM 4/26/2007, you wrote:
>When I asked these questions of eBay; the unsatisfactory answer was that
>only "actual" bids show.
>
>This meaning a new bid submmitted would create new/ additional line,
>similar to the series of bids on April 23.
>Is not clear why this bidder put in so many bids within two minutes, since
>no other bidder's 'proxy' bid shows as exceeding any of his bids.
>
>Also does not explain following:  Bidder six placed bid on April 22, but
>his bid does not show until after many other bids are placed on 23, 24, and
>25 April.  It is expected he would show as a bidder if his bid was
>4,000.

Sheesh! Think about the process.

Bidder 6 bids $4000 on the 22nd.

If you watch after each of the bids less than $4000 is placed bidder
6 goes to the top of the list. The system does not show the
intermediate steps in bidder 6's proxy progression, each time that
somebody makes a bid which is greater than the CURRENT bid amount, by
an amount equal to or greater than the computed bid increment it
becomes the current high bid, until eBay checks for remaining value
in a previously placed bid.

You would only see that if you were looking at the item at the right time.

John