[time-nuts] Re; Ebay bidding

Didier Juges didier at cox.net
Sat Apr 28 23:04:37 UTC 2007

Even with my sniping service, I have to set the amount of time before
the end of the auction when I want my bid to be placed (usually a few
seconds). If there are more than one client of the same service bidding
on the same item at the same time, it's the luck of the draw, unless you
know somebody :-)

Most (the great vast majority) of my bids are placed within the second I
ask for. I do not know how eBay handles such traffic.

Keep in mind the point of sniping is simply to put your bid too late for
someone else to react to it. It does not matter is someone else bids a
second before or after you, the highest bid still wins. It would only be
a problem if two people bid the same amount at the same time and this
would be the wining bid, a rare occurrence in my experience. I avoid
that by bidding non-round numbers of dollars. That eliminates the second
guessing.

Didier