[time-nuts] need recomendation for a portable 10mhz reference oscilator

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Dec 12 20:42:04 UTC 2007

--

>    Björn

Hi Bjoern,

even with a very good M12M or M12+ receiver we will typically see some
variation of the averaged position over it's ~3 hour (default) auto-survey
interval. I've seen altitude change by a meter or two for example.

Those couple of nanoseconds may be insignificant when compared to  older GPS
receiver performance (VP Oncore etc), but if one has the time, why  not get
the best position average possible.

I did also note that it does make a difference if the Auto Survey is done
during the day, at dawn, or during the night etc. Might be caused by multipath
etc. A 12 hour or 24 hour Auto Survey may reduce the Diurnal effects.

We recently added a command to our Fury firmware that allows the user  to set
any time from 1s to 10,000s for the Auto Survey process to finish.  This was
done because the differences are so small between any given  single-second
position, and an auto-surveyed position (less than 5 meters  or so). The error
due to this is much less than 100ns which is more than  adequate for a lot of
applications.

We have some customers that want the unit to do only 3 to 5 minutes of Auto
Surveying for a particular mobile military application, and the resulting
<<100ns UTC accuracy is way better than their requirement.

In that case the Auto Survey time is insignificant when compared to the  OCXO
warmup time.

It all depends on your particular accuracy requirement.

bye,
Said