James Maynard james.h.maynard at usa.net
Mon Dec 17 02:08:12 UTC 2007

------ Original Message ------
>From: "Ronald Held" <ronaldheld at gmail.com>
>To: time-nuts at febo.com
>Subject: Re: [time-nuts] time-nuts Digest, Vol 41, Issue 56
>
>My apartment is in a reinforced concrete building, not near the roof.
>Many years ago I tried a Garmin handheld and could not get a lock.
>Recently, I tried a GPS watch near the window, and could not get e
>lock, even though it did lock up outside(cold) after a few minutes.
>that is why i do not think I can use a GPS disciplining option.
>  Since my unit already gets no worse than 1 millisecond when locked
>up, i would want no worse than 1 microsecond in phase over long
>periods of time. What non GPS options are there with the electronic
>building skills I do not have?

Does a cell phone work in your apartment? If so, you might consider
an oscillator that gets its frequency discipline indirectly:
GPS receiver disciplines oscillator at cell phone tower,
then CDMA cell phone network disciplines oscillator in your
apartment.

See <http://www.endruntechnologies.com/frequency-standard-lowcost.htm>
for an example.

James Maynard, K7KK