[time-nuts] Cesium Beam Lifetime

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Tue Feb 13 18:50:23 UTC 2007

Hello guys,

I got my FTS4050 Cesium Reference, and have it up and running. It  works
quite well.

The Beam current reads 1.8V (I guess this means 1.8mA?), and Zeeman works.  I
am now fine-tuning with GPS.

Some questions I had:

  * Can I read the remaining lifetime of the Cs tube out of the  beam-current
somehow?

  * Should I reduce the Beam current once the unit is locked to  reduce Cs
consumption as much as possible?

   * Should I only run it when doing tests (for a day or two),  then shut it
off, or is it less stressful for the tube to run continuously? I  read that it
may be difficult to get a lock on an old tube, but that it  just runs once a
lock is achieved?

   * It seems this is the same tube sold by Symmetricom as their  replacement
tube? Does anyone know how much $$ it costs to get a replacement  tube?

   * Is there any way to check how much lifetime operation this  unit has
seen?

I am hoping to get at least 2-3 years out of this unit, and would love  to
hear your suggestions about how to run it best to achieve this.

Lastly, I am looking for a cheap counter that can do 11 or 12 digits
accuracy in a 1s intervall (I think the 53132A or SR620 can do it, but they are
quite expensive). Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance!
Said