[time-nuts] Bad batch of HP10811's

Jeroen Bastemeijer J.Bastemeijer at TUDelft.nl
Fri Feb 16 14:45:47 UTC 2007

Dear Time-nuts,

New info on an old subject:

I opened the counter (5345A) to check what kind of oscillator was
inside. It was a 10544A instead of a 10811A!!!

I checked for a datasheet of the 10544 but I couldn't find it. Luckily I
ran across an article in HP Journal. See the quote below:

Warmup. The 10811A/B Oscillator cuts the 10544/B/C
warmup time specification in half: 10 minutes for the
10811A/B compared to 20 minutes for the 10544A/B/C Oscillator.
Warmup time is defined as the time between oscillator
oven turn-on and the time when the output frequency
is within 0.05 Hz of the operating frequency, In portable
instruments, where battery weight must be minimized, low
power and quick warmup are crucial. Since the instrument
warmup time is likely to be much shorter than the oscillator
warmup time, the latter usually dominates. A side benefit of
the 10811A/B is that its frequency just after oven turn-on is
only 100 Hz low compared to 1 kHz low for the 1054aA/B/C.
This allows faster lock-in for instruments using phaselocked
loops.

Bottom line: The 10544 gives a higher offset at switch-on compared to
the 10811.

Only thing to do now is find a datasheet to verify it with real numbers,
as my oscillator was 1700 Hz off (compared to 1 kHz in the article) and
Didiers' oscillator was 200Hz off (compared to 100 Hz in the article).
Is there a link to the 10544 datasheet somewhere out there???

Have a nice weekend, Jeroen