[time-nuts] Failure mode in GPS receivers

Bruce Lane kyrrin at bluefeathertech.com
Sat Jan 13 18:42:12 UTC 2007

Hi, David,

On 18-Dec-06 at 10:25 David Smith wrote:

>Bruce,
>
>I've owned a Trak Systems 8821 for over a year, and had a problem with
>the antenna side.  Yours may be different.

	<snippety>

	Mission One at this point is simply to get a viable outdoor GPS reference antenna mounted and operational. I have one (a nice HP 58532) ready to go, as well as a mount kit for it, but we've still got the remains of the latest ice storm to contend with. I'll be lucky if I can get up to our roof in a week...

	Once I get that in place, I'll know that the antenna will not be the issue. For ANYthing I'm doing!

>So, what you could have done is fried the port on your splitter with the
>12V?  Just a guess.

	Unlikely. It's a passive splitter. I'm thinking that a seasonal drop in signal level may be to blame (I seem to have this identical trouble every winter). Again, outdoor antenna placement should clear that up.

>P.S. Have you got any software for yours?  I've got a User Manual PDF
>for mine if that helps.

	For the Trak? I've got an archive file with the last release of firmware, if that's what you mean. Trak was nice enough to send such my way after some protracted begging.

	Keep the peace(es).

Bruce Lane, Owner & Head Hardware Heavy,
Blue Feather Technologies -- http://www.bluefeathertech.com
kyrrin (at) bluefeathertech do/t c=o=m
"If Salvador Dali had owned a computer, would it have been equipped with surreal ports?"