[time-nuts] Oncore VP problem

Dr Bruce Griffiths bruce.griffiths at xtra.co.nz
Sat Jul 21 21:37:04 UTC 2007

GandalfG8 at aol.com wrote:
> --------------------
>
> Thanks Bruce
>
> I've got it sorted now, for the time being at least:-)
>
> I'd love to use a "better" OS, have tried a few flavours of Linux for
> example after spending a long time working with Unix servers, but there are  still
> applications where Windows is the only viable OS.
>
> In my case, the biggest single factor is the Winradio software for the  G313.
> There isn't a viable alternative, not that I've seen so far  anyway, and it
> took long enough to get all the quirks ironed out under  Windows, so certainly
> not an area where I'd want to try an emulator.
>
> If I've got to keep Windoze for that then I'm less tempted to run another  OS
> for anything else.
>
> regards
>
> Nigel
> GM8PZR

Nigel

Problems that occur when an active serial data source is connected to a
PC serial port are not restricted to Windows.
If one booted a FreeBSD machine with an active GPS timing receiver
connected to a serial port, the serial buffers would overflow.
This problem/feature appears to have since been fixed, at least for
FreeBSD6.1.

Bruce