[time-nuts] PRS-10 findings

Peter Vince pvince at theiet.org
Wed May 30 12:36:35 UTC 2007

Hello Said,

	I have seen something similar with my 53132A.  I was checking
on the delay variation of an amplifier distributing 10 MHz, and
noticed a regular sinusoidal pattern, about a third of a nanosecond
peak-to-peak, with a period of about 70 seconds.  This looked like
interference from an off-frequency signal.  I hadn't bothered to lock
the counter to an external reference, and on measuring a Rubidium
source against its internal oscillator, got a reading about 1.4 x
10^-9 high, which matched perfectly this 70-second period  Locking
the counter to an external reference, this beating went away.
Attached is a small GIF that shows the counter readings for twenty
minutes before and after applying the locking signal.  (Readings were
taken once a second, and to smooth the graph slightly, each point on
the graph is obtained by averaging ten readings.)

	Could this be your problem, Said?

		Peter Vince