[time-nuts] Datum 9390 Rb phase noise

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Sun Nov 18 02:06:29 UTC 2007

Well, I bought the other Datum 9390 that was for sale at the time Mike
posted this message (eBay 260177272556), and it's certainly an impressive
box of stuff for $150.  There is an Efratom Rb module, a couple of power
supplies, and a bunch of cards with a wirewrapped(!) back plane.

I hooked up an antenna and it's reporting '1 USABLE SATELLITE' so far, so I
guess there's not much wrong with it if anything.  The last-known GPS
location corresponds to "Cavium Networks HQ" in Google Earth, in Mountain
View, CA.  The rubidium oscillator works and appears to be in calibration.

The only fly in the ointment is the phase noise at the 10 MHz output:
http://www.thegleam.com/ke5fx/compare.gif

Is -120 dBc/Hz par for the course for Efratom FRS-C rubidium modules, or is
there likely to be a problem with this one?

-- john, KE5FX