[time-nuts] from Sputnik to CD

Henk ten Pierick henk at deriesp.demon.nl
Sat Oct 6 17:40:06 UTC 2007

On Oct 6, 2007, at 18:48, Poul-Henning Kamp wrote:

> When faced with claims that picosecond jitter can be perceived by
> the human ear, my flim-flam-o-meter blows a fuse.
>
> A 1 nsec phasemodulation of a 44100 kHz clock signal will, worst
> case, come out to an noise component 87 dB below the intended signal:
>
> 	1/44100 [Hz] = 22.675 [uS]
> 	22.675 [uS] / 1 [nS] = 22675 [ratio]
> 	20 log(22675) = 87 dB
>
> And that is even assuming that the two relevant samples have
> opposite signs, an impossible situation according to the Nyquist
> criteria.
>
> I find such hifi-nut claims particularly ridiculous,

Thank you for the expected response.

I have never claimed that I can hear pico sec jitter, I stated that
it is amazing that noise can do something that sine modulation does
not. As stated, I think there must be  something such as a second
order effect that correlates with jitter in this range. And I do not
know what.

Offer is still valid.

Henk