[time-nuts] time-nuts, frequency counters

Rex rexa at sonic.net
Thu Sep 27 10:05:05 UTC 2007

Chuck Harris wrote:
> ); SAEximRunCond expanded to false
>
> The simple answer, is it introduces another place for drift
> to occur.  If the power supply that provides the current to
> create the C-field drifts with temperature, component aging,
> power line voltages, phases of the moon, ... your reference's
> frequency will also drift.
>
> -Chuck Harris

I must be missing something. Aren't all those bad things going to happen
whether you adjust
the C-field or leave it untouched? Isn't the C-field required for the Rb
to work dependably
and on freq? I think the question pertains to Rb sources that already
have a screw to make
the adjustment. Maybe you are saying the screw is there to put the
C-field back where it belongs.
I would have no way of knowing how to tell if it was right or wrong
other than frequency.

Rick said it is not a good way to adjust the frequency. I don't really
understand why exactly either.