[time-nuts] I want a good micro-controller

Bruce Raymond bruceraymond at ameritech.net
Sat Aug 16 23:38:11 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm a lurker and decided to stick my neck out a little. I, too started
out as a hardware engineer. In this case real hardware - I did
structural analysis of nuclear components. That was a few lifetimes ago.
I'm doing software now.

I'm in agreement with the comments about Basic being conducive to sloppy
programming. I want my compiler to do as much checking as possible, and
that's not in line with Basic. I'm partial to C for embedded applications.

The PIC architecture is truly atrocious. However, I've been using PICs
for years and am familiar with the development environment. I'm not in a
hurry to learn something else for casual use. The C compilers for PICs
play games with creating a pseudo stack by reallocating memory. I'd hate
to have to do that manually, but it seems to work alright when
implemented by compiler.

My actual contribution to the thread is a link to a free C compiler for
PICs that works pretty well. I have been using the CCS compiler and
switched to this one.

www.sourceboost.com/

Bruce Raymond/ND8I