[time-nuts] How good is my T-bolt...??

Mike Monett XDE-L2G3 at myamail.com
Sun Dec 21 18:02:07 UTC 2008

  > Hello, Time-Nutters

  [...]

  > Hi, Bruce, Mike, et al

  > Your points are all well taken! However, all I wanted to know (and
  > all I asked the standards lab) was: How much "ballpark" error will
  > I have  when  using  my  T-bolt  as  a  reference  to  confirm the
  > frequency of  my  10GHz  ham transmitter?  Yes,  from  a Time-Nuts
  > perspective, my  question  is  crude  and  unsophisticated,  but I
  > simply did  not  have any interest in knowing  anything  about the
  > T-bolt except how good it is when used as a reference for checking
  > the frequency  output  of my 10GHz transmitter. I  really  did not
  > care about ADEV, MDEV, XYZDEV or any other alphabet soup criteria,
  > and yes,  I  know  that  this   confirms  that  I  am  a primitive
  > knuckle-dragging troglodyte with respect to the subtle  nuances of
  > time and frequency standards.

  > It's kinda like looking at the speedometer on my pickup truck as I
  > drive down  the Interstate highway. : My only interest is  that it
  > be accurate enough to use for my particular application. Same goes
  > for my T-bolt. Can I trust it to get me within 10Hz at  10GHz? +/-
  > 100Hz? +/- 1KHz?

  > As for  what the lab used to make the measurements, all I  can say
  > is that  the lab has several time/frequency references, one  I saw
  > was about  the  size  of a  refrigerator  called  a  CH1-75 Active
  > Hydrogen Maser.  Big - looked expensive,  blinking  lights, pretty
  > colors. Impressed me.

  > I'll go back to my cave, now.

  > Cheers!!

  > Mike Baker
  > WA4HFR
  > Gainesville, Florida, USA

  Hi Mike,

  It is refreshing to see such sweet innocence. For most of  us, those
  days are gone forever.

  Your problem is you only have one clock. As soon as you get two, you
  ask a very simple question: which one is right?

  But that only makes things worse.

  That question  leads you over the edge and down  the  slippery slope
  that brings  most  of us to this forum. The same  thing  happened to
  Tom, and look at how many clocks he has now.

  Right now,  you don't have enough clocks. The only real  solution to
  your problem, is to get another TBolt:)

  Regards,

  Mike Monett