[time-nuts] HP Z3801A Motorola Oncore VP Firmware Dates

randy warner randy at geodetics.com
Mon Jun 23 16:51:28 UTC 2008

 Larry,

Et al,

So long as the unit is a VP, the firmare date should not matter. The last
firmware for the VP was v10.0 and was released in 1997, but all VP firmware
will work with the HP's. As you can see from the TAC32 screenshot on Ebay
the receiver being used was a 6 channel VP with v8.4 firmware. This was the
"standard" configuration for the timing community back then. The straight
MCX connector plugged directly into the motherboard connector instead of
going to a cable. If these are coming from China I am guessing that they are
decommisioning a lot of the old Lucent cell-sites.

A note about the connector: Unless you have REALLY good soldering equipment
and know how to use it, do not try to remove the connector. The ground plane
in the board makes removal very difficult, especially in the B4xx and B8xx
receivers. When I was working with these I normally just soldered a piece of
RG174 on equivalent to the connector pins on the back side. If you do this
you cannot have any service loop. The terminations to the connector pins
must be as short as possible.

Initial delays in acquisition are normally due to the receivers being
inactive for long periods of time. If the oscillator characteristics change
a lot during long periods of inactivity it can take over an hour for your
initial fix. Once the new characteristics have been loaded into EEPROM your
acq times should go back to normal. I wrote a paper on this many years ago
when I was working at Synergy. Does anyone have a copy they would be willing
to post?

Randy Warner