[time-nuts] NTPD & PPS on OpenSolaris

Robert Vassar rvassar at rob-vassar.com
Sun Jun 29 03:51:39 UTC 2008

On Jun 23, 2008, at 5:29 AM, Magne Mæhre wrote:

> Matthew Smith wrote:
>> Hi Folks
>>
>> Does anyone know the current status of NTPD with NMEA & PPS
>> drivers on
>> OpenSolaris?
>
> Disclaimer:  I work for Sun Microsystems, and may be biased...

Hi Magne!

Disclaimer here as well.  I am speaking for myself, not on behalf of
my employer. I do not work on NTP or anything even remotely related,
so this should not be construed as anything more than informed here-say.

> OpenSolaris is still running with NTP version 3, but v.4 is enroute.
> All the standard clock drivers should be working (I've only used
> NMEA and PPS myself, with success).
>
> I'll check with the integration team and see if I can get a schedule
> for the v.4 code...  The porting and the new kernel support code has
> been ready for quite some time.

OpenSolaris is still using a 3.x derived NTPD.  The v.4 stuff is
being worked on, but I do not know what the integration schedule is.
The maintainer has to do some update work on the kernel PLL code for
4.x.  If you pickup the 4.x bits on your own and compile them,
they'll likely work...  But this being Time-Nuts, where owning a
Rubidium/Cesium reference is "normal", I would expect people to
notice some anomalies, but I'm not sure exactly what you would look
for.  That said, the 3.x bits still get the job done.  You need to
decide if you need any of the 4.x features.

>> After much hmm-ing and hah-ing, I have decided that my new office
>> server
>> will be running this OS.  Now I need to work out whether it will
>> be my
>> time server or whether an additional lightweight BSD (where I know
>> everything should work) box will be doing the job.
>
> My primary has been running OpenSolaris for a couple of years now ..

I've been running "Solaris" at home for almost 2 decades.  I started
with SunOS 4.1.1 on a used Sun 3/50.  :-)

OpenSolaris has a lot going for it.  ZFS, kernel integrated CIFS
server, VirtualBox, "Network Auto Magic", etc...  All kinds of new
stuff.  Enjoy!

Rob  -  KC6OOM/5