[time-nuts] Thoughts on IR thermometers?

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Wed May 28 03:45:55 UTC 2008

Hi Patrick:

Many decades ago I used a Barnes Engineering spot IR sensor.  It's cost tens of
thousands of dollars and had a microscope for alignment.  The problem then and
now is that you need to know the IR emissivity of the thing you're looking at
in order to get temperatures.  If you try to read a mirror and are seeing a
clear blue sky reflection in the mirror, even though the mirror is at room
temperature you will read some large negative temperature like - 60 deg C.

A way around that is to coat everything with a black paint that's also black
for IR, but that's messy.

A simpler way is to get a temperature probe for your DMM and just touch parts.

For a crude look use a digital camera that has the IR blocking filter removed
and you can see near IR.  For example a car driving away viewed in near IR
shows red for LED lights and bright white for filament lights.

Another problem with low cost IR temperature sensors is that the beam angle is
around 90 degrees.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.prc68.com/P/Prod.html  Products I make and sell