[time-nuts] Using GPS for space-based instrument

Lux, James P james.p.lux at jpl.nasa.gov
Mon Nov 10 23:04:45 UTC 2008

I'd suggest giving the GPS folks at JPL a call.  They've probably looked into all the issues you're interested in, and can make suitable suggestions where to go for answers (subject to the usual export control restrictions).Jim Zumberge is the Section Manager of the Tracking Systems and Applications Section (which does the GPS stuff). Try James.F.Zumberge at jpl.nasa.gov

http://iono.jpl.nasa.gov/ might give you a start.
http://www.gdgps.net/

There have been proposals, for instance, to receive GPS signals at the moon, based, as another poster mentioned, on the GPS signal from a satellite that is not occulted by the Earth.  The GPS satellites are fairly high up and the overall beam is fairly broad, so if you're almost in line with the Earth and the satellite, you might get decent signal strengths.

James Lux, P.E.
Task Manager, SOMD Software Defined Radios
Flight Communications Systems Section
Jet Propulsion Laboratory
4800 Oak Grove Drive, Mail Stop 161-213
Pasadena, CA, 91109