[time-nuts] Cheap Rubidiums

Bob Camp lists at cq.nu
Wed Dec 23 19:45:11 UTC 2009

Hi

I agree that there indeed lab grade rubidium's out there that run well below
1x10^13. There are also a bunch of orbital rubidium's that do the same sort
of thing.

The idea is to see (short of buying several swimming pools) just how good a
cheap rubidium can be made to work with "basement level" engineering.

Each "system" should have:

1) A Thunderbolt w / antenna for very long term ($100)
2) A cheap rubidium for medium term ($100)
3) A DOCXO for the short term ($50)
4) Some FPGA / micro controller stuff to stitch it together ($150)
5) Power supplies ($30)
6) Enclosures and misc ($50)

Hopefully the total cost per system will be below $500 at eplace prices.
Unless there's a magic place out there that I'm not aware of, I'm not going
to get a working 5065 or a working hydrogen maser at anywhere near that kind
of price.

Bob