[time-nuts] Radio clock fails to leap

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Thu Jan 1 00:37:43 UTC 2009

My low-end Radio Shack 'atomic clock' did not handle the leap second.

I started this evening with a good plan--used a digital camera
capable of video (and audio) recording to record the display of the
radio clock vs. a hand synchronized 59309A clock (running from
internal oscillator), complete with WWV audio in the background.  I
was hoping to see 59 seconds twice, or 60.  I was also hoping to see
that the two displays out of sync after the leap.

No such luck--the video and audio came out great, but the two
displays stay in sync with each other.  They're obviously one second
off after the leap, so it wasn't a complete waste.

--
newell