[time-nuts] Radio clock fails to leap

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Thu Jan 1 02:10:01 UTC 2009

> I'm not sure if any of the low-cost radio clocks handle
> leap seconds correctly.

> If someone from a RC clock company is on the list, now is a good time
> to explain the reasoning for not handling leap seconds.

If I was building a low cost radio clock, I'd probably ignore leap seconds.
They don't happen very often.  The chances of getting it wrong are too high.
The customers won't notice a one second error, especially if it gets fixed
before too long.

> Clearly the analog clocks can't (there is no way to show the 61st
> second with clock hands).

They could stall the hands for a second at 23:59:59.  That's what POSIX does.
 :)