[time-nuts] Precise manual survey (was Common sky pps...)

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Wed Jan 7 18:32:04 UTC 2009

Hello Peter,

I would think it's related to 1ns per foot, but depends highly on Sat
geometry at any given time. I remember talking about this some years ago on time
nuts, and someone mentioned it wasn't exactly 1ns/foot, but slightly less (if I
remember correctly).

Yes, the cable delay is completely independent of the "wobble", since all
sat's signals will be delayed equally long. The cable delay just causes a
static phase-offset in the UTC 1PPS pulse. This can be compensated for in  1ns
steps on our Fury GPSDO.

There are some secondary effects such as multipath signals that can also
have a detrimental effect on precision, so the antenna quality and it's
placement can also help reduce the wobble. The Motorola M12+ manual has some  nice
explanations and drawings to this effect. I think timing receivers have a  much
easier time detecting multipath, and rejecting it than 3D fix receivers  since
timing receivers can over-determine their position/time resolution.

bye,
Said

In a message dated 1/7/2009 08:02:59 Pacific Standard Time,