[time-nuts] OT favorite signal generator?

GandalfG8 at aol.com GandalfG8 at aol.com
Sun Jun 21 10:03:23 UTC 2009

optomatic at rogers.com writes:

I was  thinking that if I
injected a signal with a known waveform I could follow  it around the
amplification circuits and such. My only real need is to  create
something that does not appear to already be there. For instance I  don't
see many triangle waves, if I produced one I could following it  around
with my oscilloscope. So in terms of frequency just a few hertz  would
do, heck even 1 would probably be fine. My only concern is that some  of
the circuits are high impedance and have low voltages. It might be a
good idea if I could get down somewhere into the uV  range.

----------------------
Then forget distortion specs and HP kit, nice as it is, etc etc,  all you
really need is the cheapest function generator you can find.
Most, if not all, will go down to a few Hz and all should give you a
triangular waveform.

Frequency calibration is often poor, and output level accuracy too, but
that shouldn't matter for what you need.
Most do have relatively high outputs compared to decent signal generators
but a fixed attenuator to bring it into the range you need, easily knocked
up  with a few resistors, should fix that and you can then adjust using the
built in level control.

Building something to match your stated requirements wouldn't be  difficult
either and shouldn't require anything more than a  handful of components
costing just a few dollars.

regards

Nigel
GM8PZR