[time-nuts] Ideas for a long-wave receiver sought

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Tue Jun 23 04:56:59 UTC 2009

It's not necessarily inexpensive, but here's one data point: an EVAL-AD7760
board is $150, and a Nexys2 FPGA board is $129.  This combination can
acquire DC-1 MHz with 100 dB SNR and 120 dB SFDR.  There is no need for a
hardware or FPGA-based DDC, as any modern PC can do host-based processing at
these rates without breaking a sweat.

In the setup I have been playing with, the FPGA is used only to transfer the
AD7760's output to the USB 2.0 chip.  With a 16 KB block-RAM FIFO in the
FPGA and overlapped reads from the CyUSB driver, my test app has run for 2-3
days at 10 MBytes/sec without missing any samples.  At 20 MBytes/sec,
sending every 32-bit sample twice as a test, the FIFO overruns every couple
of hours.

Considering that you can spend $279 on a high-end sound card without trying
very hard, the AD7760-based USB digitizer isn't too unreasonable, at least
for single-channel applications.  I'm still debating whether to spin a PCB
that'll put the FX2 USB chip, FPGA, and AD7760 on one board... it's
tempting, because I'd really like a two-channel digitizer, but it won't
necessarily be much cheaper than the Nexys2/EVAL-AD7760 combo.  The Nexys2
is a real bargain.

I'm not quite ready to call the Verilog and ADC API code "done," although
anyone who wants to play with it is welcome to it, just write me offline.

TI also has a new 24-bit sigma-delta ADC called the ADS1675 that digitizes
at 4 MS/s and uses about half the power of the AD7760.  You can buy the
chips from DigiKey but there appears to be no official evaluation board yet.
It's hard to compare the specs on an apples-to-apples basis, but my
impression is that the overall performance isn't too far behind the AD7760
at 2.5 MSPS.

Re: the SDR-IQ, yes, it comes with a public interface spec.  It's based on
ASCP (Amateur Station Control Protocol), which I'm not too familiar with.
Great little box, usable as a general-purpose digitizer for narrowband HF
applications that don't need to go all the way down to DC.

-- john, KE5FX