[time-nuts] Loran-C & French Clocks

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Mar 18 23:01:38 UTC 2009

M. Warner Losh skrev:
> In message: <000501c9a7b1$ef689bb0$a101a8c0 at officemail>
>             "phil" <fortime at bellsouth.net> writes:
> : This will answers all the questions.
> : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GMT
>
> Except that it doesn't answer much of anything for Magnus' questions.
> There's only 4 countries listed.

It also incorrectly identifies Denmark as UTC+1h when I know (as
Poul-Henning pointed out many times before, and I read the law he
pointed me to) it is GMT+1h.

I have considered traveling to Gudhjem which is the Danish village which
is closest to the 15-degree line. When I am at my summerhouse, I am far
closer to Gudhjem then Poul-Henning is when he is at home. Last time I
checked, Gudhjem is the home of 777 soles.

It should be noted that there is many ways to write GMT, you can write
it as GMT, Greenwhich Mean Time, Mean solar time at the Greenwich
meridian (usually with ix15 degrees offsets) or just Mean solar time at
ix15 meridian.

It is a bit humours that the Danish translation of the EC Directive on
summer-time shifts defines the shifts between summer and winter time as
occuring at certain UTC times where as only GMT based times is legally
acknowledged in Denmark. Lovely. :)

I guess I am a nut-case to find humour in such things.

I am still wondering who would set up NTP servers that provides UT1 time
in order to realize GMT over NTP. It would not be all that difficult as
UTC-UT1R is published regularly with advance estimates which could be
smoothed out and interpolated properly.

Cheers,
Magnus