[time-nuts] fleabay cesium

Hal Murray hmurray at megapathdsl.net
Sun May 10 00:11:22 UTC 2009

> I have a few GPSDO's (Trimble T-Bolt, Z3801A, TrueTime & HB units).
> How much better can the Cesium be than any of those ??

Here is another viewpoint...  (I don't own a Cesium (but I'm looking) so my
opinions may not be relevant.)

What are you after?  What is important to you?

Under the covers, a "Cesium" is just a CesiumDO with the PLL parameters tuned
to take advantage of what the Cesium tube can deliver.  The basic time
constant is sub-second vs many-seconds for a GPSDO.

If you are nutty enough, the GPSDO numbers don't really match what a Cesium
can deliver in the medium term time scale, say 1000-10000 seconds.  I'm
pretty sure I've seen graphs of GPS time shifting slightly from night to day
due to atmospheric changes.  A Cesium won't do that.

On the other hand, a GPSDO won't have any long term drift.  It's locked to
the best time we can get.  If you wait long enough a Cesium will drift.  Not
very fast, but it will drift.