[time-nuts] Reference oscillator accuracy

Glenn Little WB4UIV glennmaillist at bellsouth.net
Fri Nov 13 06:13:23 UTC 2009

While I was in the US Navy we had two Cesium standards for the
navigation center on SSBN submarines.
While in port, we would track LORAN C and compute the drift rate of
the two cesium standards.
Is there a service, that has drift rates published, that I can
compare my standards to, so that I can determine the standard drift rate.
I do not remember the drift rates that we determined on the
submarine, that was a few years ago, but, I seem to remember that the
rate was in the low nanoseconds.
If a rubidium standard drifts in one direction (does it?) a drift
rate could be calculated and, after a comparison to a known standard,
with known drift rate, a very accurate standard could be had for the lab.

What would I expect the drift rate, or jitter, to be in a FRK class
rubidium oscillator?

Is the drift rate constant enough that a drift rate could be applied
to a rubidium oscillator to determine it's real frequency at any given time.

We calibrated the submarine Cesium standards every three months.
We had to know the drift rate of our standard as well as the drift
rate of the standard in each of the LORAN stations to be able to do
the type of LORAN navigation that we did.

I would like to be able to verify that my PTB-100 rubidium oscillator
is on frequency.

If I compare two rubidium oscillators, what would I expect the
relative drift rate to be?

Thanks
73
Glenn