[time-nuts] The Demise of LORAN (was Re: Reference oscillator accuracy)

Bruce Rahn brahn at woh.rr.com
Mon Nov 16 01:45:13 UTC 2009

Hal Murray wrote:
> cfharris at erols.com said:
>
>> What makes you think it needs to be CW, and cannot be pulsed and
>> chirped?
>>

>> All it has to do is confuse the receiver enough so that you can't
>> trust its readings.
>>

> Why is pulse or chirp likely to be more confusing per W of jamming power?

Perhaps this reference will answer some of the questions present here:

http://www.navcomtech.com/Support/Download/Sapphire%20Jamming%20Test%20Report%208%20Jan%202007v3.pdf

One factor I have not seen anyone address is the effectiveness of
jamming as a function of the receiver state.  A GPS receiver will be
much more susceptible to jamming when it is trying to acquire and lock
onto a satellite signal than it is after lock and tracking has been
achieved.

Bruce, WB9ANQ

--
Bruce Rahn