[time-nuts] Comparison of Ashtech Z-12 and Z-Sensor for timing

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Oct 4 23:14:58 UTC 2009

Mark Sims wrote:
> I found the spec on the Z-12 1PPS output...  it is within 1 microsecond of GPS time.  You can offset it up to 999.9999 milliseconds.  I suspect that your standard Z-12 and cousins are not the best timing receiver around.  It is hard to beat a Thunderbolt in terms of bang for the bucks...

That is bogus numbers. The 1 us timing is what the SPS spec says, so
whenever you see that number listed, look further, regarless of which
receiver it is.

I think if you look into the PTTI and UFFC archives you will find quite
different numbers. Timing wise they will beat the Thunderbolt, since
they do carrier phase and they do L1&L2 locks. Thunderbolts do L1 C/A
code phase. The Thunderbolt has two main advantages, 10 MHz output and
much cheaper.

Cheers,
Magnus