[time-nuts] Slightly OT - GPS-Based Accurate Direction Finding

Jim Cotton jim.cotton at wmich.edu
Fri Aug 27 14:16:07 UTC 2010

Back in the early 1980's when attending college I worked on a single
axis multi-mode fiber optic
rate gyro project that used GRIN fiber.  Back then a military three axis
unit based on single mode
fiber was alleged to be a little larger than a one inch cube and cost
slightly less than a million dollars.

We used a three inch spool for the fiber and put everything in a six
inch cube for a housing.

The NASA contract was part of the NASP program.

The company that we worked with wanted to produce a product for the
commercial "private
pilot" aviation market.  I will have to ask what happened...

I think the patent issue may have had something to do with it since the
company had a
relationship with Litton.

Jim Cotton
n8qoh