[time-nuts] Time Code generator

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Thu Dec 9 22:36:19 UTC 2010

On 12/09/2010 02:46 PM, jimlux wrote:
> Magnus Danielson wrote:
>>> All *digital* video is timecoded..
>>
>> No, not all digital video. The time-code is optional in many of the
>> transfer formats.
>
> You're right.. I was thinking more that analog certainly isn't always
> timecoded, but at least for digital, there's an inherent frame counter,

There is as inherent frame counting in the analog PAL and NTSC signals
as there is for their digital counter-part in SDI.

> and dropped/doubled/partial frames are unusual in digital video systems.

Not after the frame-store farm...

> They're positively frequent in analog systems (esp consumer vhs!) But
> you'd still get caught if the frame rate isn't the same across your
> system (which is often the case)

Inside a production location yes, as the house clock dictates the time
for all equipment... but not between the production locations, the
solution being the use of a frame-store farm to "clean" the incoming
signal into the local house-clock phase and frequency.

A number of false starts to align things to GPS have been attempted, but
there has been some speed in the development. One progress was the
definition of the SMPTE EPOCH in SMPTE 404M (which bounced the trial
publication after feedback from a time-nut asking what time-zone the
midnight of 1 Jan 1958 was being referenced, naturally it was UTC
midnight which was intended and thus the Zulu time-zone). The idea with
the SMPTE EPOCH (defined to where TAI and UTC align up) is that all
sample-rates, line-rate, frame-rates etc. for all signals has T=0 at
that time and then just follow the development of TAI, while the time of
day would follow UTC.

> Consumer gear also usually doesn't have any ability to gen-lock.

Unfortunately. Some of it is hackable thought.

>>> It's been 12 years since I sat in an edit bay, so I'll bet that analog
>>> gear is pretty much out of the picture by now, though.
>>
>> Analog black-bursts is still here.
>
> I think that's the video equivalent of the 10MHz reference distribution.

It is.

Cheers,
Magnus