[time-nuts] Power problems on HP5372A

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Tue Dec 28 20:17:12 UTC 2010

Fellow time-nuts,

The last couple of days I have been experiencing problems with my
HP5372A as it will not power up. I have noticed that my power switch is
cranky but haven't thought anything about it, just one of those annoying
personalities.

As everything else seems fine in the unit, I was suspecting the power
switch. It's just that it actually doesn't switch much power. It's a
low-power DC power enable switch. So just shorting it on the right side
enables the switching supplies and it "opens up".

So if one encounters similar behaviour on a HP5371A, HP5372A or HP5373A,
do have a look at the power switch signals. They are easy to access on
the back side of the front panel (fairly obvious three fairly neatly
soldered in).

I'm not sure I can find a suitable replacement. I will see if it is a
mechanical problem that can be overcome with some patience.

Anyway, the counter itself is intact.

Cheers,
Magnus