[time-nuts] GPS Antenna

Chris Albertson albertson.chris at gmail.com
Thu Dec 30 23:25:46 UTC 2010

A few questions about GPS antenna....

1) I read the Thunderbolt user manual and did not find any meaningful
spec on the antenna except that it is amplified and uses DC power in
the coax.  What signal level is the Thunderbolt expecting?   oes it
want a 24dB antenna or more or much less?

2) I want to feed two GPS units with one roof mounted antenna.  I
figure that splitters are just a transformers and will not pass DC to
power the antenna.  There must be an easy way around this.

3) Do people really run coax straight from a GPS antenna into their
house with no protection from lightening?  Maybe a GPS antenna is a
small target compared to a 100 foot wire antenna in Florida

--
=====
Chris Albertson