[time-nuts] Lady Heather, heavy load for PC?

Arnold Tibus Arnold.Tibus at gmx.de
Tue Jan 19 17:36:20 UTC 2010

I am just realizing that the nice programLady Heather issue 3beta
seem to be a heavy Lady ;-)

Wondering why the processor temp level on my laptop
(Thinkpad T43p, 2.26 GHz, 2GB RAM)
went up to 85 °C I decided to look careful after it with a
small add on program.

The processor temperature of my Laptop is stable at around
65 °C when I have only opened my mailing software.
But this value does encrease very fast by up to 20 °C more
when I start LH (3beta).
The top level of 83 to 85 °C is reached within a few minutes,
the fan running as well on top speed. This behavior is
repeatable.

When I switch LH down, within 10 sec I can read already
10 °C less and in a few minutes more I am back on the initial
value close to 65 deg. C.

So LH seam to be very heavy concerning the thermal charge.
Not only the whole board is warming up with time, the fan is
as well running steadily quite noisy.

Is the math load, doing the adev calculation etc,.so
heavy? I am thinking to ovoid parallel works on this Laptop
when running LH for hours or days...not wanting to decrease
the life time of the Intel Processor...

I wonder, did somebody else made similar experience
with Thunderbolt and Lady Heather?
Perhaps Mark Sims or John Miles can give a good
explanation.

Ah, before I forget, running instead TBoltmon fromTrimble
does not encrease the temperature at all !
So the culprit must be the math or/ and graph. routines,
 I think.

regards

Arnold