[time-nuts] HP 58516A GPS distribution amplifier information - Thank you ...

SAIDJACK at aol.com SAIDJACK at aol.com
Thu Jan 28 01:00:14 UTC 2010

Hi Claude,

since the SMC jack is also DC-connected to the antenna output (through an
inductor) to power the antenna, the unit also works well if you feed 4V to
5V  into the unit through the antenna port!

That can be done using an L-band-capable standard Bias-T, and  then leaving
the SMC connector open. You may find a Bias-t more easily than  an SMC
cable.

BTW: if you do it that way, the upper limit on the voltage is limited by
the internal Linear Technology voltage regulator, so you can go way above 5V
without a problem.

The unit shouldn't consume more than 25mA or so that way...

Bye,
Said

In a message dated 1/27/2010 16:51:28 Pacific Standard Time, va2hdd at aei.ca