[time-nuts] 5061A Problem Child

J. L. Trantham jltran at att.net
Mon Jun 14 03:31:22 UTC 2010

Corby,

It has been a long and frustrating day.

I swapped the A3, A8, A7, A14, and A1 assemblies with a functioning unit and
the assemblies from the 'problem child' worked in the 'good' unit and the
assemblies from the 'good' unit failed to work in the 'problem child'.  I
'un-swapped the units and now my 'good' unit is having a problem starting up
the CS Oven.  I hope I have not created another problem.  I decided to let
it run over night with CS Off and try again in the AM.

The 'problem child' is behaving just like it is not being modulated.  I can
not explain this unless there is some failure mode in the CS tube that would
allow Beam I to look ok but no 2nd Harmonic.  With Mod Off, there is a nice
single peak on Beam I as you adjust the Coarse Osc Frequency.  The electron
multiplier voltage on the tube is -1515 and I adjusted it to that voltage.
Should it be more negative?

The only thing measurable that is different from one unit to the other is
the absence of a signal on the A7J2 test point.

The only other thing I can think of to do is to swap the tube with the A4
assembly attached along with the A15 assembly from one unit to the other and
see what happens.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Joe