[time-nuts] A little quick advice, please

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Mon Nov 1 01:01:28 UTC 2010

On 11/01/2010 01:42 AM, J. Forster wrote:
> Pretty much agreed.
>
> There are a few dealers who hold out for near-list prices and can afford
> to have stuff not move, because when they do make a sale the profit is
> very high. Some, like ElectroCraft, don't make it. Others, like Tucker,
> apparently do.
>
> I frankly doubt that the "gotta have XYZ and only that" is very big any
> more because the US doesn't make all that much hardware any more.

Regardless where the hardware is made, the prime time for certain boxes
is limited, after that they are plentiful enough available such that
certain high-price strategies doesn't hold too long.

Certain very specific things can be found for decent prices, even if
still fairly substantial sums.

I've picked up several nice things which I never tough I could afford,
but the price was much more manageable all of a sudden. I had to pick
the pieces from different places, but the end set is more or less complete.

In one case I made an offer one of those shelf-warmers that is pretty
useless for most people. I tossed in the offer at 1/3 of the asking
price, and they accepted. Both parties happy I guess. I got the
calibrator for the 5370 and 5372 counters. Should use that a little more
often.

Cheers,
Magnus