[time-nuts] GPS jamming susceptibility

jimlux jimlux at earthlink.net
Tue Nov 23 15:12:28 UTC 2010

scmcgrath at gmail.com wrote:
> The Phrack article's jammer attacks the offset frequencies.
>
> Phrack.org/issues.html?issue=60&id=13
>
> This article shows just how vulnerable L1 GPS is

I'm not very impressed by design...
That old Freescale/Motorola MC145151 PLL, and using a separate
prescaler?  That's a 1970s-1980s design out of some old ap note. Can you
even buy a 145151 anymore? I suppose you can, there's probably millions
of them out there in all manner of radios.

Why not get an eval board for one of the plethora of MMIC PLLs out there
that has VCO, dividers, etc. all on one die.  Heck, NS has a whole
webbench application that will basically design the thing for you.

On a related note... What about a GPS signal simulator.. Yes, there are
commercial vendors out there who will be happy to sell you one for many
tens of $k.. how about something simpler?  Seems it should be easy to
have a FPGA programmed up to generate all the PN codes and nav messages,
and just run it out to a mixer with a 1575 MHz LO (generated by one of
the aforementioned $100 NatSemi eval boards)..

Or is it too much of a pain to do the doppler?  That would take
something like an DDS to create a reference for each S/V simulator, with
the DDS programmed for the required doppler.  So it would take N
channels to do N S/Vs in view.  Yeah... the multi $10k starts to seem
reasonable now..

I was sort of hoping, in the back of my mind, that some grad student out
there had created some FPGA code to run on a Xilinx eval board (or a USRP2)