[time-nuts] 60kHz Loop antenna

Arthur Dent golgarfrincham at yahoo.com
Sun Oct 3 18:36:13 UTC 2010

John,-"My concern with tuning the loop is that as the tuned circuit drifts with
temperature, or other things, an extraneous phase shift will be intoduced
to the received signal. Remember, the phase of a complex pole pair tuned
circuit goes from +90 to -90 degrees as you sweepo through resonance. The
higher the Q, the steeper this effect would be."
Don Lancaster addresses this concern in his article where he states: “Tune
this coil to 60 kHz with high quality polystyrene capacitors or the more expensive
silver micas. Any other capacitor type is unsuitable. The coil Q should be around
25 to 40. More will cause temperature and tuning problems, less will let in too
much noise.”

To tell the truth, I really haven't given this much thought for the 30+ years my loop
has been working.

         -Arthur