[time-nuts] 60kHz Loop antenna

Dave M dgminala at mediacombb.net
Tue Oct 5 00:03:00 UTC 2010

>Date: Mon, 04 Oct 2010 11:53:10 -0400
> From: Chuck Harris <cfharris at erols.com>
> Subject: Re: [time-nuts] 60kHz Loop antenna
>
> The coil with 50T and 5 foot diameter is 11.5mH.  It would take about
> 220pf of self capacitance to make it resonate at 100KHz.
>
> Anyway, if the capacitance is too much, it's all in the way you
> splice the ends together in the conduit box.  If you want, you can
> make the loop a single turn with 50 parallel conductors.
>
> -Chuck Harris
>
> paul swed wrote:
>> I have used 25 pair telco cable.
>> The issue that can happen is the inter pair and strand capacitance
>> can exceed the resonance frequency of the loop. Or resonates below
>> 60 KC. Just a heads up.
>> Using a 3 foot loop was not a problem.
>> Regards

There is a number of software applications at
http://www.zerobeat.net/G4FGQ/page3.html#S301, written by a silent key Reg
Edwards, G4FGQ from the UK.  In particular, the program titled RJELOOP3 is
of particular interest in the design and analysis of loop antennae in the
VLF region.  I've used several of Reg's programs and have never found an
error (doesn't mean there aren't any, but he was a very knowledgeable
engineer).

This program is based on a square loop, but will certainly get in the
ballpark with the circular and other shapes.  It calculates inductance,
self-resonant frequency, capacitance needed for resonance, receiving
sensitivity, impedances, etc.  A nice program.

David
dgminala at mediacombb dot net