[time-nuts] Wenzel 245MHz OCXO Low noise power supply andmounting environment

John Miles jmiles at pop.net
Thu Sep 23 04:41:41 UTC 2010

> Hi John,
>
> Actually he had 10+ for sale at $25 each free postage. Later that same
> day with a sudden spike in sales, the silly seller put them up to $80
> and went back on several sales at $25. Now he has swapped them out with
> Vetron at $49 each and the excuse was the other Wenzel failed his tests.
> See 270629163153
>
> Yes, I ended up buying 2, I will look at your suggestion ( mixer and
> opamp)
>
> I recall we had a chat about the 492BP with your p/n toolkit, it was
> limited down to around -88dBc/Hz @ 10KHz, mainly due to the Yig's
> quality.

The analyzer's PN floor doesn't matter with a quadrature PLL.  The specs in
that .PDF suggest that the oscillator would be quite easy to measure (no
exotic JFET front ends, power supplies, etc. would be needed), so it's nice
that you have a pair to work with.  Take a look at the Wenzel PLL link and
the HP 11729B-1 app note, and you'll see how to do it.

-- john, KE5FX