[time-nuts] Ebay FE-5680A Rb: Are they that good?

Javier Herrero jherrero at hvsistemas.es
Fri Dec 9 13:32:55 UTC 2011

Hello,

Yes, I know that the phase noise is the spectrum analyzer one, but the
spurious that are around (mostly -70, -80dBc) are not, particularly the
ones at +/200kHz and +/-400kHz. I was mostly curious about the harmonics
and other spurii since in this unit, 10MHz are generated from a CPLD
divider, and this approach sometimes leds to strange spurious and nasty
things around, but in this case seems not bad. As far as I remember, in
a FRS-C the output is from a 10MHz crystal oscillator.

And the harmonics, well... usually we square that output and they have
not importance, but sometimes it is desirable to have a clean as
possible signal, and I was curious to see how good (or bad) the
filtering was :). On other side, we can use square wave from the CPLD
(not yet checked, but it must be there inside, somewhere :) ). The 2nd
harmonic is very low, that indicates that square wave symmetry is very good.

Regards,

Javier, EA1CRB