[time-nuts] Calculate spectral content from a series of zero crossing time stamps?

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Wed Feb 9 21:02:56 UTC 2011

Hi Henk,

On 08/02/11 22:19, Henk wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Wavecrest uses algorithms for this and their software gives a spectrum. They also give some info on their site.

In "Jitter, Noise and Signal Integrity at High-Speed" by Mike Peng Li,
Prentice Hall, ISBN 0-13-242961-6 it is covered in pages 200-207.

It converts the phase jitter Phi(t) into the autocorrelation function
R_Phi(tau) (equation 7.40) and then the phase jitter PSD can be
estimated using the fourier transform (equation 7.41). The phase-noise
can then be calculated using the standard L(f) = 10*log10(PSD(f)/2).
It's pretty straight-forward.

The autocorrelation processing is O(N^2) while the DFT can be done in
O(N log N) when using FFT. As usual these can be implemented in reversed
order such that first the FFT is done to the phase jitter and
auto-correlation can be found using O(N) post-processing.

The phase-noise measuring ability of the SIA-3000 I have is not
competing with real phase-noise measuring sets. It doesn't say it can't
be useful.

Cheers,
Magnus