[time-nuts] Silicon Labs series of oscillators...

Richard (Rick) Karlquist richard at karlquist.com
Sat Jan 22 16:49:09 UTC 2011

On 1/22/2011 6:04 AM, Michael Baker wrote:

>     I have a need for a 110 MHz VCXO in a 1.8GHz to 7.5GHz
>     tracking generator I am building for my Tek 494 spectrum
>     analyzer.  I bought a pair of Silicon Labs 110 MHz VCXO
>     chips for less than $25 for the pair from Cramer
>     Distributors. The Si595 VCXO chips are in an
>     "industry standard" 5mm X 7mm surface-mount package.

These so called "VCXOs" are not VCXO's.  They are just
synthesizers that functionally emulate a VCXO.  The phase
noise and jitter are poor as compared to a real VCXO,
such as a CTS 357L ($8 at Digikey).

Maybe they will work in your application anyway, just don't
kid yourself about what you are getting.

Rick Karlquist N6RK