[time-nuts] Muffin Fan and Rb Oscillator

Magnus Danielson magnus at rubidium.dyndns.org
Sun Jul 17 18:57:54 UTC 2011

On 17/07/11 20:45, Richard W. Solomon wrote:
> If I use a Muffin Fan to cool the Rb (both are mounted in the same box,
> in close proximity to each other), will the noise and/or vibration affect
> the stability of the Rb oscillator ?

You can expect the vibrations to be affecting the crystal oscillator of
the rubidium, and while low-frequency part will be captured by the
control loop, higher frequency will not so sidebands is not completely
ruled out.

If you mount the fan and mount the rubidium with suspension you should
kill most of that without too much effort.

Still, best way is to measure and decide if the side-bands is
prohibiting for your use or not.

Long-term frequency should be fairly fine if you use a sensible control
loop with gradual speed control and not too high PWM noise.

Cheers,
Magnus