[time-nuts] Advice on NTP server needed

Mike S mikes at flatsurface.com
Mon Jun 13 23:04:05 UTC 2011

At 06:25 PM 6/13/2011, Alan Melia wrote...
>Of the USB converters the best seemed to use the FTDI chip and driver,
>but

I agree. The Prolific ones seem not to be as reliable, plus I
understand that many don't use a real Prolific chip, but a Chinese
"clone" which is even worse.

I've got a Moxa nPort 5610 Ethernet-serial server, which seems to be
very reliable. They're inconsistent in updating the Linux drivers, and
the code is butt-ugly,  but it is open-source (for Linux). I use their
"real COM" mode, which makes it look like a /dev/tty device (COMx: for
Windows). One neat thing is that up to 4 computers can be
simultaneously connected, so I can for instance run Lady Heather
against my Thunderbolt from a Windows VM _and_ also point the Linux
side NTP at it with no conflict (PPS comes in a real serial port).

The biggest drawback is they use RJ45 jacks for the RS-232 ports, with
a completely non-standard pinout (it's not EIA/TIA-561 or Yost).

I've restarted the Moxa with both Heather and NTP using the
Thunderbolt, and other than the expected glitch, everything picks up
where it left off without any problem.

Oh, and my NET4501s have been very stable - other than one of the wall
wart power supplies dying. Replaced it with a beefier one, and all's
good.