[time-nuts] WWVB Measurements

Brooke Clarke brooke at pacific.net
Sun Mar 27 21:15:16 UTC 2011

Hi Lenny:

The CMMR-60P is an analog circuit designed for very low power
consumption.  That translates to very high impedance circuitry.
I've been playing with them for years.  When I first tried them the
reception was not 24/7, but rather mainly centered around local
midnight, but the current batch gets good reception inside 24/7 with the
stock small loop-stick antenna.  Therefore I have stopped working on a
larger ferrite loop antenna.  Note they have app notes describing the
ideal impedance for an antenna to optimize the performance with the
CMMR-60P.  One of the limits on the antenna is it's temperature
stability.  That was one of the areas I started to look into for the
larger loop.
http://www.prc68.com/I/Loop.shtml

John Mills (THE NTP guru) has written a number of papers on and built
examples of a matched filter type receiver for the HF station WWV, but
the ideas would also be applicable to a WWVB receiver.  The performance
he gets from WWV would knock your socks off so I expect a WWVB version
would be even better.  In addition there are some things that could be
done to improve it.

Have Fun,

Brooke Clarke
http://www.PRC68.com