[time-nuts] Resolved: USB and Mouse conflict persists

Stan, W1LE stanw1le at verizon.net
Wed May 11 16:21:05 UTC 2011

Hello The Net:

Thanks for all of the timely pointers.  The problem with XP Pro has been
resolved.

My serial to USB adapter uses the Prolific chip. As indicated under
device manager.
After plugging in the T'bolt to the adapter and into a computer USB port,
Device manager, under "mice and other pointing devices" showed an active
"Microsoft serial ballpoint"
As suggested I left clicked and DISABLED it vs. deinstalling it.
Control over the mouse cursor returned to normal operation.

Adding a external USB hub by itself, had no adverse effects.
Adding a T'Bolt and adapter to the external hub had no adverse effects
adding a second T'Bolt did have a problem. but the ballpoint device was
then DISABLED.
Adding a third T'Bolt to the external hub had no adverse effects.
Adding a "cheapie" Bluetooth USB adapter had no adverse effects.
Adding and pairing a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard had no adverse effects.
Under device manager, USB ports, advanced, I changed the COM port
assignment to COM10, 11, and 12.
Lady Heather beta started up fine with their command line COM port
assignments.

The motherboard is an Intel D945GCLF2D with installed dual core Atom
processor. (~80$) MicroATX.
Total power draw is ~40 watts. Could be lowered a few watts even more,
with a solid state hardrive.
I only have 1 each PCI expansion slot and that is occupied by the
M-Audio 4 channel 196 K sampled soundcard.
Not the fastest CPU, but fast enough. and I have a DC power supply for
it, to run off of +12VDC.

I will go back into the boot.ini and delete the "NoSerialMice" entries.
I will explore the /fastdetect:COMx command as well as the impact of not
allowing plug and play accessories from the BIOS.
That was last weekends project.

Next project is to get the Agilent IO/drivers and their ARB waveform
software working
under serial control with a 33120A, option 001, that will use the
T'Bolts 10 MHz as a reference.

Thanks for all of the timely assistance.
The pointers I got were a giant step ahead of what google found.

Stan, W1LE    Cape Cod    FN41sr

ZZZZz